which is gprs? Only expert can
    give informations about it.

mohammadhanif14 is offline Advance Member
    Last Online
    9th October 2023 @ 04:12 PM
    Threads
    Credits

GPRS

GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is a non-voice service added to existing TDMA networks, one of the 2.5G technology upgrades. TDMA is the underlying transport mechanism used by GSM networks.

GPRS provides the transmission of IP packets over existing cellular networks.

How does it work?

GPRS is a network overlay to the existing cellular network. It uses the nature of IP transmissions to its advantage. Because IP traffic is made of “packets”, the network does not need to have continuous data transmission. Thus, IP traffic can easily share the channels. A user may be receiving or transmitting data while another one is reading information. The second user does not need to use the channel during this time, and it makes packet networks more efficient than circuit-switched networks (2G), where the channel would be in use, regardless of the user transmitting or not.

Each channel is divided into eight time slots, with a maximum data transmission of 13.4Kbps. One of these time slots is used for control, and normal allocation would reserve two slots for voice traffic as well. Asymmetric traffic (more download than uploads) dictates the distribution of the remaining time slots:

Type Meaning
    2+1 two slots for download + 1 for upload
    3+1 three slots for download + 1 for upload
    4+1 four slots for download + 1 for upload

Also, the GPRS devices have a classification related to their ability to handle GSM voice calls and GPRS connections:

Class Meaning
    A devices are capable of simultaneous voice and data transmission
    B devices support one type at a time, and switch automatically between data and voice
    C devices support one type at a time, and require user intervention to switch between data and voice

In theory the GPRS data rate is 171.2Kbps per channel, but users will experience something lower than this, because of the nature of channel usage explained before.

The maximum rate a user can have using a Type 4+1 device is 53.6Kbps.

The connection to the GPRS network is always on, but the device needs to connect to the data terminal (Pocket PC, notebook, cellular phone). The connection times are of course much lower than dial up. My personal tests show GPRS connection to be ready to use in 7 seconds, while a dial up requires around 35 seconds to be in a ready state.

How to use GPRS

A user can connect to a GPRS enable network in three different ways:

Using a mobile with a microbrowser to access WAP pages A user can connect to the GPRS and browse WAP pages from a GPRS enabled mobile. Of course the impact of reduced content on WML format and using the little phone keypad to type in URLs is tiresome. Examples are mobile phones such as Ericsson T39m and T68i.
    Using a handheld with built in GSM/GPRS capabilities Using handhelds with GPRS capabilities a user can connect to the GPRS network. All Internet services will be available, providing the needed ports are not blocked. This includes web, e-mail, newsgroups, VPN, ftp, etc. The connection between the terminal and the GPRS modem can be via infrared, serial cable or bluetooth. Examples are Treo, XDA Pocket PC Phone Edition, and Smartphones.
    Using a mobile as a GPRS modem A user can connect a notebook, desktop or handheld to connect to a GPRS enabled mobile, and then connect to the Internet. All Internet services will be available, providing the needed ports are not blocked. This includes web, e-mail, newsgroups, VPN, ftp, etc. The connection between the terminal and the GPRS modem can be via infrared, serial cable or bluetooth. Examples are using a H3970 to link via Bluetooth to a T39m and from there to the Internet.
    Using a PCMCIA card as a GPRS modem A PCMCIA card can be used as a GPRS enabled modem, and once inserted a dial up connection can be created. From there the user can connect to the Internet. All Internet services will be available, providing the needed ports are not blocked. This includes web, e-mail, newsgroups, VPN, ftp, etc.

What can I do with GPRS?

Anything available on the Internet, really. Web browsing, email, VPN connections, Instant Messenger (AOL, ICQ, MSN Messenger) are services compatible with GPRS.

The question is really “What performance can I expect from my connection?”

The answer is “It depends”. It really depends on strength of signal, number of users in the channel. But don't expect blazing performance. In my test, with my local GSM provider, I've got results sometimes lower than dial up. But these are non-scientific results.

The EDGE network is the data network used by Apple and AT&T in the first-generation iPhone. It allows iPhones to send and receive data such as emails and web content, in addition to making phone calls.

The EDGE network provides average data transfer speeds of 75-135Kbps.

Apple’s choice of EDGE as the first iPhone’s data connection standard was controversial, since a faster technology, called 3G, was already widely deployed in Europe and was fairly well support in the U.S. Devices using 3G have data rates of up to 384Kbps.

Apple defended its use of EDGE by saying that devices using EDGE require far less battery power than 3G, a major concern with the first-generation iPhone.

What Is the Difference Between GPRS & Edge?

Read more: What Is the Difference Between GPRS & Edge networks?

GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) and EDGE (Enhanced Data rate for GSM Evolution) are services for transferring data over mobile networks. Smart phones that have the functionality to allow users access to Internet services such as email and Web browsing use a variety of techniques for the required transfer of data, including GPRS and EDGE. EDGE was designed to enhance the data rate that GPRS provides. Both EDGE and GPRS are used within a variety of mobile devices.
    GPRS

GPRS is a GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) system for data transfer using packet switching technology. In this technology, data is split into packets, each of which is transferred along the network individually and presented with others as a whole to the client (user). GPRS can be used on 2G and 3G networks, and enables Internet Protocol communications, meaning that users can access Internet services through it on their mobile and cell phones.

EDGE

EDGE, or EDGPRS, builds on GPRS networks to offer increased speed. As smart phone requirements have increased over time, so has the amount of data transfer required by phone users. With such services taking place over the mobile networks, speed has become more of a concern which is why EDGE technology was first developed. EDGE was originally used to make the existing GSM services more capable of catering to these increased demands in mobile data transfer.
    Differences

In general, the main difference between GPRS and EDGE is that EDGE offers much higher speeds of data transfer, and is specifically three or four times faster. EDGE is radio based and uses different techniques for encoding the data being communicated which allows it to carry out the communication process at this faster rate. EDGE can also provide access to a greater range of wireless services; not just GPRS but also various Web and multimedia services.

Availability

The availability of any mobile data transfer service depends on the carrier for the mobile network providing the phone service. Different mobile networks take differing approaches to which technologies they favor, and offer different allowances in terms of data. Smart phones used on a contractual basis will typically be provided within a set data plan, which should indicate data allowances and service availability.

Other Options

Mobile data transfer services have progressed enormously as of 2011, and the ever increasing demand for mobile Internet services has seen the development of many new technologies. 3G is one of the more recent advances, with EDGE often seen as a bridge between GPRS and 3G. As well as the capabilities that individual phones and networks offer, users will also find that the availability of mobile data transfer services varies greatly in different geographical regions.

breaths4u is offline Advance Member
    Last Online
    21st April 2023 @ 01:07 PM
    Threads
    Credits

بہت خوب بھائی
    انگلش کا انگلش میں ہی جواب

Threads
    Credits

Wink

Quote altafmohd said: View Post
    what are gprs and edge
    networks? What is diff. b/w
    them? Whose speed is faster?
    Which network is edge and
    which is gprs? Only expert can
    give informations about it.
    Let me explain in Urdu as well as in short language
    Just to clear your concept regarding,

GPRS: Jab Aap Mobile men kisi bhi Sim ke zariye Internet use karte hen use GPRS kaha jaata hai.

Edge: Jab Aap Mobile ka Internet apne Computer se connect karke Computer par use karte hen use Edge yan EGPRS kaha jaata hai.

For Instance Aap Mobilink ka Internet Mobile par use kar rahe ho, yeh hua GPRS, aor jab Aap same Mobile ke Internet ko Computer ke sath Connect karke Computer par chalayenge to use Edge yan EGPRS kaha jayega
    Yeh donon Services Pakistan ke Paanchon Networks i.e. Mobilink, Telenor, Zong, Warid aor Ufone provide karti hen Package Bundles ke hisab se.

* GPRS itna fast nahin hota, magar jab Aap same internet ko Computer ke sath Connect karte hen to wohin Speed 4 se 5 gunna ziyadah milti hai. Agar Mobile par 10KBPS Speed hai to Computer par takreeban 50KBPS ho jaati hai. GPRS aor Edge ki Quality Network par bhi depend karti hai aor Mobile ke Hardware par bhi.
    ~* W@R T!ll D3@t|-| *~
    ~* I'll Win Not Immediately But Definitely *~